Monday, February 07, 2011

Chicken Wings with Soy-Brown Sugar-Sriracha Sauce

One of my goals this year is to purchase my food with a conscious effort to know exactly where it comes from. I believe I mentioned Rowe Farms before in my the post about the best roast chicken ever, but they're definitely worth mentioning again.

Their meat is locally raised (Guelph), hormone-free, antibiotic-free, hormone-free, nitrate-free... I could go on and on, but you might as well just read it for yourselves.

Anyway, they just opened a retail shop on Bloor, just a few blocks from our apartment.

Image from: West Annex News
And that makes me a very happy shopper. We don't buy tons of meat, but when we do, I like knowing it's from them.

This recipe was originally intended to be done in a crock pot and finished in the oven, but as I don't own a slow cooker I had to improvise. I slow cooked the wings for 3 hours in my Le Crueset enamelled cast iron dutch oven at 180º to mimic the conditions of a slow cooker.


Superbowl Chicken Wings
 
(adapted from Cooks Country)

Ingredients

1 lb chicken wings, tips removed

Rub

1" piece ginger, grated
1 clove garlic
1 tbsp packed brown sugar
1 tsp soy sauce
½ - 1 tsp sriracha

Sauce

1 tbsp water
1 tbsp tomato paste
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp soy sauce
½  tsp - 1 tbsp sriracha (if you like it spicy add the tbsp)

Directions

1. MAKE RUB Pulse together all rub ingredients in a food processor or mini chopper. 


 Add mixture to dutch oven. Add chicken and toss until combined. 


2. COOK AND COOL Cover and cook on low until fat renders and chicken is tender, 3 to 4 hours.


Using slotted spoon, remove wings and transfer to clean plate. Let wings cool 20 minutes (or cool briefly and refrigerate up to 24 hours).

3. SAUCE AND BROIL Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat broiler. Set wire rack inside rimmed baking sheet and spray rack with baking spray. Whisk water, tomato paste, remaining sugar, remaining soy sauce, and remaining cayenne in bowl. Add half of sauce to bowl with cooled wings and toss gently to coat.



Arrange wings, skin side up, on prepared rack. Broil until wings are lightly charred and crisp around edges, 10 to 15 minutes.


Flip wings, brush with remaining sauce, and continue to broil until well caramelized, about 3 minutes. Serve.


And I promise you it'll look like this at the end...


Urp. Nom, nom, nom!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...