|Sweet Potato Fries with Curry Mayonnaise |
Photography by Matthew Kimura (Canadian Living)
2 sweet potatoes cut into strips 3/8 inch wide
¼ cup flour
¼ tsp paprika
½ tsp coarse salt
2 egg whites, beaten until frothy
2 tbsp mayonaise
2 tbsp sour cream
juice from ½ lime
¼ tsp curry powder
salt and pepper and sugar to taste
1) Preheat over to 425 and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
1) Blanch the sweet potato strips in boiling water for 1½ minutes. I did this in two batches.
2) Remove from water and dry on paper towel (or, if you're out, use a tea towel).
3) Mix flour and paprika together in a bag or any sealable container you might have on hand, add potato strips in batches. Remove from bag, shaking off excess flour. Gently toss in egg whites mixture and place on baking sheet. Be sure to make sure you've left lots of room between each fry. This will help make sure they get nice and crispy instead of steaming.
4) Sprinkle with coarse salt and place in oven for 20-25 minutes, turning fries over half way through.
5) Meanwhile, mix remaining ingredients together in a small bowl. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
6) Remove fries from the oven, and serve with the flavoured mayonnaise.
7) Marvel at your culinary ability and bask in the awe of your husband.