Tuesday, May 11, 2010

My first bento!

It's been almost four years since I left Japan. In that final flurry of packing, I left behind my bento box.

That (along with a plastic kiwi knife-spoon) is one of the things I regret leaving behind the most! But, check out what arrived in the mail yesterday:

Ooh! A box! With Japanese tape!

But, as I was cranky about my messy kitchen, I let it sit on the couch in the kitchen (yes, we have a couch in the kitchen. It's really more like a settee) until after I'd washed up and started on dinner.

My husband couldn't take the suspense, and look what he pulled out:


Oh, I just can't tell you how much I love it! Two layers of pure bento goodness. I foresee greatness in my lunching future!

I agonized over what to make for my first lunch. I know, I know, if I was a good bentoer, I'd do it in the morning, but I like my sleep and I usually throw things together in five minutes.

In the end, I chose to make Bento no.53 from Just Hungry. And set it up in my box. And then ate it.

And then packed round two for tomorrow's lunch.




Ta dah!

Le Menu

white rice topped with umeboshi
carrot kinpira
blanched greens with mirin, shoyu & sesame oil
blanched bean sprouts with sansho & salt
sesame beef
king oyster mushrooms braised in butter, mirin and shoyu

Why did no one tell me about the pure deliciousness that are king oyster mushrooms? Oh, lord save me now!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...