Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Summer party things I love

I keep dreaming of hosting a dinner party up at my cottage. The thing is, my cottage isn't classy enough for that. So, I just day dream about a cottage on a lake... with willow trees... and tables with mismatched chairs.

10. Lemonade Jars - don't you love the gradation in the strawberry lemonade picture?

(from Sur La Table)

9. Burlap table runners - the perfect rustic fabric

(Style Me Pretty)

8. Natural, organic feeling flowers - as though there's a field nearby with them in it. (My cottage has a swamp... doesn't quite count, does it?)

(Style Me Pretty)

7. Low, huge paper lanterns - I'm madly in love with lanterns... and have been for years!

(unknown)


6. Fava Bean, Mint, and Pecorino Romano Bruschetta - mmm. Bruschetta.

(Martha Stewart)

5. Food on Sticks - That's probably my time in Japan speaking. Nothing says summer like food on sticks!

(Galaxyguides.com)

4. Dinner on the Dock - ah, I love this - especially with the palm branches and tiki torches! (If only we were directly on the river!)

 (sanctuare.com)

3. Bonfires - who doesn't love a big bonfire? There's something totally young at heart about them!

(darrellinjapan.wordpress.com)

2. Grilled Corn on the Cob - I love this stuff! The sugars in the corn get all caramelized and totally delicious.

 (slashfood.com)

1. A Relaxed Picnic Vibe - maybe it's the red, maybe it's the hamper. I love picnic food though. The sandwich is my all time favourite eat. You cannot beat a good sandwich.

(http://www.pigglywigglync.com)

Now, this is what my cottage actually looks like:





Why yes, that is chipping paint on the outside!

My husband and I painted it two years ago with interior paint and not exterior. Ha ha! I believe it'll be all the rage in a few years time. Style at Home? See you then!

There's really one spot that's wide enough for a great party and that's the area by the fence. Of course you can't see the poison ivy patch that also hangs out there because it's just to the right of the picture. You could theoretically set up a table and chairs in the back, except that mosquito heaven out there.

Don't get me wrong. I love the cottage. I know it sounds like I don't. It's my happy place. I'm just not convinced that it's the place for an elegant summer party, you know? I guess we'll settle for orange 70's decor, beer and BBQ instead.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...