Friday, November 05, 2010

A fun way with potato salad

I won't lie to you. The pictures I have here aren't pretty. But, please don't let that turn you off of this potato salad! This is a very free form recipe, based on a Nigel Slater one from his book Tender I. I swear, I've never met a book that makes vegetables sound so sexy.

The secret ingredient? Walnut Oil.

Ingredients

2 large potatoes (or several small new potatoes), unpeeled and cut in 1 inch hunks.
3 slices meaty bacon
handful chopped parsely
1 tbsp dijon
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
3 tbsp walnut oil
healthy pinches of salt to taste
freshly ground pepper

Bring potatoes to a boil in cold, salted water. Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are just tender. Meanwhile, cook up your bacon until crispy and drain it well. When cool enough to handle, break into pieces.

Now you're ready for the dressing!

Whisk 1 tbsp Dijon mustard with some salt (like I said, free form) in a medium bowl, add 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar, whisking thoroughly. Next comes the fun emulsifying part. Add in 3 tbsp walnut oil very slowly to the mix, whisking constantly. You'll find that it all comes together beautifully and thickens up like mayo! To this add heaps of freshly ground black pepper and a tbsp of water. Whisk. Whisk. Whisk.


It should be creamy and glossy when you're done.

Toss the potatoes together with the bacon and parsley, then stir in the dressing. Enjoy with a smile on your face... perhaps with leftovers!


Next up? A really lovely bulgar and cranberry salad!

2 comments:

Locavore Family said...

That looks delicious. I love walnuts and a salad dressing with walnut oil is right up my alley.

Alyson said...

It's funny, I bought the walnut oil for maple walnut loaf and haven't used it since. But now, I'm a total convert.

This dressing would be great on a bright, green salad with cranberries and walnuts and goat cheese. Nom!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...