Sunday, March 13, 2011

No-Bake Granola Cookies

There are times when I crave sugar. My husband calls those days weekdays. But, for Lent, I gave up all things candy and so, I'm left with a sugar void.

I may have given up candy, but I haven't given up cookies. Especially ones that are made from that healthy, no-added fat granola. I won't lie, these aren't healthy cookies, but they aren't as bad for you as they could be.

And really, who cares? They're delicious, plus you get to use up leftovers!


 I whipped up a fresh batch of this stuff yesterday, opting for a tropical variation.


For the orchard fruits and nuts, I swapped just about everything out and used dried pineapple and mangoes, a bit of candied ginger, some pumpkin seeds and some chopped macadamia nuts. I used ¼ cup of maple syrup and ¼ cup of coconut milk. And, because I used the coconut milk, the whole thing took about 35 minutes to cook, in order for the excess liquid to evaporate.

It's not as colourful a granola as my last batch, but man, is it tasty!


I also lucked in to some huge coconut flakes, which really makes a difference in texture. Ultimately, you can use whichever granola you happen to have on hand, but, given the amount of sugar used to bind these cookies together, I recommend using a granola with minimal sweeteners!

No Bake Granola Cookies

(makes about 20)

Ingredients

¼ cup butter (or Earth balance buttery spread to make this vegan)
¼ cup milk (dairy, coconut, soy, rice, almond - your choice)
2/3 cup sugar
¼ tsp vanilla extract
¼ tsp coconut extract*
2 cups granola

* if you're not using a granola with a prominent coconut flavour, you may wish to replace the coconut extract with almond extract, or remove it all together and have ½ tsp of vanilla extract instead.

Directions

1. Melt butter with milk and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, and let boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in extracts.

2. Stir in granola, mixing thoroughly to coat. Drop by heaping tablespoonfuls onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Dip fingers in water and pat into desired shape. Let cool on baking sheet.


There's no need to aim for perfection here! Aim for free form shapes, I say.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...